Seared Tuna Niçoise Salad
Servings: 6 - Prep Time : 26 mins - Cook Time : 4 mins - Total Time : 30 mins
- 2 lbs tuna steak (2 thick steaks)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (+ more for the pan)
- 2 tsp La Baleine Fine Sea Salt
- 2 tsp La Baleine Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head butter or Boston lettuce
- 1 lb baby potatoes, halved and boiled until fork tender
- 8 oz haricot verts, trimmed and blanched
- 2 cups cucumbers, sliced (I recommend baby cucumbers)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (dry pint)
- 3 oz anchovies
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives (oil cured olives can be substitued)
- 3 large eggs, hardboiled, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- La Baleine Essential Salt, for seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp La Baleine Essential Salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Rub the tuna steaks with oilve oil. Combine the salts and pepper and rub onto both sides of the tuna.
Drizzle a little more oil into a nonstick pan set over high heat. Place the tuna in the pan and sear on both sides, about 2 mins per side depending on the thickness of your tuna. I recommend very rare for this recipe.
Remove the tuna to a cutting board and slice very thinly, ACROSS the grain.
Whisk together all the ingredients except the olive oil. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream while continually whisking. (Alternatively blend in a mini prep food processor until emulsified.)
Toss the warm potatoes with 2 Tbsp of the dressing and let stand.
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large serving platter in a single, overlapping layer.
Arrange the ingredients over the lettuce in clusters in the following order: potatoes, haricot verts, cucumbers, tomatoes, anchovies, sliced seared tuna, olives, and hard boiled egg halves.
Season with salt and serve with dressing.